Monday, October 4, 2010

Elections and Social Networking

Getting out to vote is a subject that comes up every year at election time and it seems almost redundant to talk about it again. However, since the record turn-out of the Presidential Election of 2008 included a lot of younger voters who were inspired to vote based in large part on a “younger” political tool, the World Wide Web; I thought it was worth going back to it again. A lot of younger voters do not keep up to date on politics in the traditional ways, but instead get all or most of their news on the internet. They interact with the news and information at sites where they can comment on issues and have others respond (like this blog). This is changing politics in America for the better, in my opinion, with the political climate getting more progressive and new more liberal ideas getting considered and explored. 
As the voting body gets younger because of “electronic politics”, candidates have to embrace the new ways of reaching out to them. Social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. are quickly becoming the new normal. While some may not like this, it is only going to become more prevalent as time goes on. 
I myself have participated in some really good political and social discussions that have taken place on Facebook; conversations that wouldn't have taken place if the people were standing face to face. Most of the thoughts are fully written out, details checked, and maybe something new is learned in the process. I love having the internet at my disposal for these conversations because suddenly, with all the information in the world at my fingertips I am the smartest guy alive!

3 comments:

  1. I so agree with this post! Social networking is an excellent way to get more voters involved and to have their opinions heard. Real communication makes a huge difference in tackling the problems our country faces. Some people would argue that social networking is not real communication, but as you describe in your post, it is--and I believe that you are right in saying that it is going to become even more prevalent. Now the question is...do the politicians really want to hear the voices of the public??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good question. It sure does seem like they pay attention to the ones with the most money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love that I can read at my leisure, but still engage in a "conversation" while checking facts at the same time. Online sources, especially those that allow topic discussion definitely help to keep me informed!

    Definitely a good question, Susan. I think, because of social networking, they will HAVE to start paying more attention to what people really think, to some extent.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...