Tuesday, October 19, 2010

and the Rent Is Too Damn High!

Does anyone else think that the governors race in New York State has become a joke? While last night's debate was at times hilarious, I kept having to remind myself that I wasn't watching John Stewart or Glenn Beck, this wasn't a comedy show and that these people were actually running for Governor of New York State!
The minor parties are always crying foul, and maybe justly so, if they are not invited to a debate, but when they were invited most of them acted like circus performers! Come on do they really think that anyone will take them seriously? Maybe it is just a few of them ruining it for all but even so, I would have gotten up and walked out rather than take part in such hoopla. It is extremely obscene to act like an absolute idiot when campaigning for a public job especially in the face of the economic disaster that New York in particular faces! As a New Yorker I am horrified and disgusted that this debate, if you can call it that, even took place. I feel insulted by the way these people have made a mockery out of a very serious situation.
This really leaves me wondering who I am going to vote for. It has become a situation of trying to pick the best of the worst. The way New York has become in the past few years with what happened with Spitzer (among other things) has really left me very disappointed . Why can't we get any really good candidates; people that are in it not as a career, but for the good of the people of New York State? Has the system become so complicated that good people are afraid to run? What is it going to take to fix this?
You can watch the full debate here: http://buffalo.ynn.com/content/top_stories/520896/live-stream--gubernatorial-debate/

5 comments:

  1. Not sure I really want to watch the full debate, honestly...I'm sure your assessment is correct and I would just be super frustrated! What I've read in the papers and heard on the radio is bad enough!
    Maybe you should run? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, there is actually some good stuff embedded in with all the crap. I actually thought that Warren Redlich of the Libertarian Party had some good thoughts and ideas. I do have to admit though that I was too disgusted to watch the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing to say.......... Have you ever met or heard of a poor politician? It boils down to who is the better BS artist, and they are good artists. Like you said Dan, the best of the worst. I'll bet if we put a cap on the income of politicians and closed all of the loop holes that they could weasel their way through, not only would we save money but we might actually find an honest politician. Being a politician should not be a way to get rich off of the people. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least the third party candidates can get some air time there, even if they did make a mockery of the system.

    One of our local NPR affiliates here has a daily show that covers a different topic for an hour each day. They have been running installments of something they have dubbed "Get to know your fringe candidates." It is really sad, but this is all the air time these candidates can get. For the most part, they are the only candidates that will discuss ANY of the issues in depth. And I am not talking about the "single issue" that they have an "ax to grind" on. Some of these candidates are well versed in all of the issues and are locked out of the debates by the 2 big state parties. I would love to see a few of these candidates go head to head with the "chosen two" candidates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you Scott...there are a few that I would love to see in a head to head debate with the major candidates. We have seven candidates for governor in NY this year but there are only four of them that are worthy of debating (actually I would say three but I figured that I would have to include Carl Paladino the Republican candidate). The other three made such a joke out of it...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...